To find out more about this position visit – http://www.higheredjobs.com/
Using digital photographic equipment, studio lighting, professional photographic techniques and approaches is able to create photographic visuals of a wide and diversified variety of subject matter for use by the University Health Sciences in teaching, publications, record keeping, marketing, publicity, etc. There is a strong emphasis on portrait photography. Also provides photographic services in support of University of Utah functions and events which often require after hours attendance. Evaluates client needs, conceptualizes ideas, and creates visual designs using sophisticated computer equipment and software programs to produce artwork for marketing materials, scientific posters & abstracts for professional meetings, etc. within established budgets.
1. Creates photographic visuals of a wide and diversified variety of subject matter for use by the University Health Sciences Center and University of Utah (e.g., passport/portrait/ERAS photos, class composites, and art & photo portfolios).
2. Use Photoshop CS5/6, Photoshop Lightroom 3/4 and other tools to size photos, select colors and format the layout prior to customer review, selection and printing.
3. Maintains all photographic equipment, sends equipment for repair as needed.
4. Orders, inventories and stores necessary photographic equipment and supplies.
5. Coordinates special jobs for photo printing, framing, etc. with local vendors.
6. Meets with clients initially to determine needs, budget and deadlines; meets subsequently to discuss changes and finalize project.
7. Researches and studies ideas related to each project; conceptualizes original work to communicate intent of project.
8. Develops cost estimates for clients by balancing the needs of the project with the available budget.
9. Designs a wide range of artistic material, e.g. catalogs, posters (scientific & abstract), brochures, flyers, display signs, banners and billboards, etc. using sophisticated computer equipment and software programs.
10. Determines size and arrangement of illustrative material and copy, selects style and size of type, chooses color/s and arranges layout based upon available space and aesthetic concepts.
11. Completes pre-press check by ensuring colors and saturation are exact, overlap properly and do not leave gaps, and ensures inks are solid and in the correct place.
12. Produces art for assigned project, prepares final layout, and finalizes in a manner that is ready for printing.
Bachelor’s Degree in Graphic Design, Illustration, or a related area, or equivalency; three years of professional studio experience and a portfolio at the time of the interview; demonstrated effective communication skills; the ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines; and a commitment to provide excellent customer service required. The incumbent must be familiar with Macintosh, Aldus Freehand, Adobe Photoshop and Quark XPress software programs.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.